What to do When Your SEO Isn’t Working
If you’re scratching your head wondering why your SEO isn’t working, have no fear! Our team of talented digital marketers compiled a list of the most common reasons why your SEO fails and what to do when you’ve hit a roadblock.
Reasons Why SEO Fails
There are many reasons why SEO efforts can fail to deliver successful results, and we want to inform you of those mistakes before we help you prevail. Whatever the reason, if SEO isn’t working, you need to figure out why.
- Unrealistic Expectations. The search ballfield is highly competitive and is dominated by big, well-known companies. In order to have a great strategy, you need to keep your expectations for keywords and search terms realistic and obtainable.
- Wrong Kind of SEO. What kind of SEO do you want to target? Local? Organic? National? Commercial? Informational? Whether you know the answer or not, you need to target the proper markets to see the greatest results.
- No On-Page Optimization. If the pages on your site are not properly optimized with target keywords, an appropriate URL, an effective meta description and image alt text, then you will most definitely see a negative impact on your SEO campaign.
- No Patience. SEO takes time, and not many people understand just how much time it can take to see the results of an SEO strategy. There isn’t a “One Size Fits All” answer for how long SEO takes to start delivering, but we can guarantee that it’s not overnight. Generally, SEO takes at least a few weeks to begin showing a positive impact for your brand.
- Links are Missing. Quality links throughout your site can be vital to an SEO campaign and the overall authority of your site. Links are like the votes from the Internet to support your website, so the links you have should be from relevant and appropriate sources.
How Do We Fix It?
Now that you understand some of the most common reasons for why SEO fails, we want to help you fix it. Below is a list of helpful tips on how to improve unsuccessful SEO.
- Technical Audit. Performing a technical audit is vital for understanding the health of a website and will identify clear areas of focus for improving the structure of the site. We’ve included a screenshot of what our technical audit objectives look like at Top Floor.
- Refresh Meta Data. We all know that technology is everchanging and continues to improve with time, and the meta data of your website should be no different. In order to stay relevant and accessible to your customers, you should continually update your title tags and meta descriptions.
- Target Keywords. Targeting specific keywords that relate to your business is essential to help increase your rankings when searched online. Target keywords should be specific to what the page is about, but broad enough to have search volume around them. You can also tailor keywords to each location your business serves.
- Link Up. No, we don’t mean with your friends! We do recommend that you include appropriate and informative links throughout your site to improve your link authority and user experience on various pages of your website.
I Don’t Understand…Help!
If these lists seem a bit confusing or if you’re just feeling downright overwhelmed, then we encourage you to give us a call or visit our website for more information. We love forming business relationships with like-minded individuals who are driven by delivering successful results! We also offer a free Digital Marketing Audit that may help get you on the right track.
Ready to Elevate Your Results?