Five Tips to Improve Your Website Results
Design & Development
How many times have you visited a Website and abandoned the site almost immediately? Most of us come across ineffective Websites every day. In too many cases, businesses make it difficult for their Website visitors to engage with them and suffer the consequences of poor results. The five strategies below can help you ensure that your target customers have a positive experience on your Website.
1. Lead with a clear message Remember that Web users scan content before they commit to a deeper site visit, and they leave in about five seconds if they have not connected in a meaningful way. It’s critical that site visitors instantly validate that your company offers the products/services they are seeking. Look at the lead statement on your home page. If you were to ask someone less familiar with your business to read the statement, would it give them a clear indication of what your company offers?
2. Provide simple, intuitive navigation Look at your Website’s navigation and ask, “If I were one of our target customers, would I immediately know where to click to find important information on my site?” Use clearly-labeled navigation links that are understandable and relevant to your site users. Then, apply this navigation in a consistent manner throughout your Website. Consider conducting some usability testing with users less familiar with your business. Give them some basic tasks to accomplish on your site, then observe them as they interact with your site. Is the navigation clear to them? Where do they struggle to find key information or action steps?
3. Offer compelling calls to action From each page of your Website, visitors should be able to answer the question “what now?” Once they read about your products, services, or capabilities; they should be presented with prominent on-page calls to action throughout your Website, such as:
- Request a Quote
- Ask an Expert
- Download a White Paper
- Read a Case Study
- Find a Dealer
- Sign up for our Newsletter
- Watch a Video
- Follow us on Twitter
- Share via social networks
4. Maximize your reach on search engines It’s critical to leverage the power of search engines like Google to connect with customers. Research how your target markets search online for the products/services you offer. Use these words within the content of your Website, particularly in page titles and headings. Also, look for opportunities to acquire links to your Website from other sites. Consider engaging with a professional SEO firm to help you maximize your results, and take advantage of classes and internet marketing events to enhance your learning.
5. Measure your results Using Web tracking tools, you can evaluate the success of your Website and identify areas for improvement. Google Analytics is a powerful, free tracking tool that provides detailed reports on your site traffic sources, keywords, conversion actions, and more. Look beyond the quantity of traffic and focus on the quality of visits. How many visitors are spending time on your site and taking meaningful actions (completing a contact form, requesting a quote, placing an order, downloading information, signing up for a newsletter, etc.)? Most importantly, adopt a mindset of continual improvement. Your Website is never really “done.” It’s a dynamic marketing tool that should be consistently updated and improved.