Digital Marketing Trends Part 3: Video and Augmented Reality
If you’ve read Part 1 and Part 2 of this series, you already know that 2019 means quick, visual, and personalized content. Video and Augmented Reality are just the cherry on top for 2019 marketing trends.
If you’ve been keeping up with digital marketing the past few years you know that video is nothing new. It isn’t going anywhere for 2019, in fact you should expect to see more of it. According to YouTube, mobile video consumption has been increasing 100% every year. Users are wanting quick, easy to digest information and video is offering a perfect solution. Most consumers even say videos have helped them make purchasing decisions. If your business hasn’t adapted to video marketing yet, now is the time!
Here are some quick tips on how to maximize video for your 2019 audience.
- Use more video on Social Media. Remember, these don’t have to be fully produced videos, the simpler the better. Videos that get the most views on social media tend to be tips about your product, how-tos, or something fun about your company or employees.
- Square videos on Social Media get better engagement. Think about it – video takes up a larger portion of the screen and in general is easier to see what the video is about.
- Add videos to your website. This helps users get the quick and visual information they are looking for.
- Include videos in your email marketing efforts. This works well for new product launches, promotions, or troubleshooting tips.
- Always use captions in your videos! 85% of videos are viewed without volume.
Next, Augmented Reality (AR). Augmented reality is an interactive experience, generally performed through a mobile device that alters how you see your surroundings. Popular examples include snapchat filters or Pokeman Go. It’s a buzzword I had a lot of people asking about at our Digital Marketing Roundtable. Unfortunately, I had a hard time answering the questions since AR is so new. Does it work? How long does it take to implement? Will I see a return on my investment? The reality is, I could not answer these questions. Each AR experience will be vastly different. AR is so new we don’t know right now if there is a direct correlation to ROI.
This is an easy trend to write off and say “there is no way our business would use that.” I challenge you to think outside the box, do some additional research, and see how you could implement it. Could you create an experience to show what your product would look like within your customer’s business to help them plan? Could you use AR at a tradeshow or event? You may be the first in your industry to take advantage of Augmented Reality and really give your customers a unique experience with your product. Do this for every trend in 2019, don’t just immediately write it off, think “but what if we tried it” and see what happens! Here’s to a new year with new challenges and exciting outcomes!